Hong Chen is a Professor of Management Science at Shanghai Advanced Institute of Finance (SAIF). Professor Chen was Alumni Professor in Supply Chain Management and Chair of the Division of Operations and Logistics, Sauder School of Business, University of British Columbia (UBC). He was Dean of School of Management, Xi’an Jiaotong University.
Professor Chen’s current research focuses on clean energy market and investment. His research also includes operations and supply chain management, financial service operations and risk management, queueing network theory and applications, and best practices of supply chain in China.
Professor Hong Chen was one of the founding faculty members and academic associate dean at Cheung Kong Graduate School of Business. He had held visiting positions at China Europe International Business School, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Stanford University, Georgia Institute of Technology, Chinese University of Hong Kong. He was a Special Term Professor at the School of Economics and Management of Tsinghua University.
Professor Chen has published extensively in leading operation management journals including Operations Research, Management Science, Manufacturing and Service Operations Management，Production and Operations Management, Mathematics of Operations Management. He coauthored a book on the fundamentals of queueing network theory. He received the Engineering Initiation Award from NSF (U.S.), Killam Award from UBC and the Faculty Research Excellence Award from UBC Faculty of Commerce. He was the president of INFORMS Society on Applied Probability, and was the associate editor for Management Science, Operations Research and Queuing Systems Theory and Application. In the last few years, he has written many teaching cases on the best practices of the supply chain management in China and articles for Harvard Business Review (China Edition). Professor Chen provides consulting services for many reputable companies in North America and in Mainland China.
Professor Chen received his Ph.D. of Engineering-Economic Systems from Stanford University in 1987.
Operations and Supply Chain Management, Financial Service Operations and Risk Management, Queueing Network Theory and Applications, Supply Chain Best Practices in China.Current Research Focus Includes Risk Management (Including Systemic Risk, Credit Risk and Operational risk) and Quantitative Finance (Including Pricing Bond and Commodity Futures).
1. Hong Chen, Murray Z Frank, 2021, The Effect of Taxation on Corporate Financing and Investment, Review of Corporate Finance Studies.
2. Hong, Chen, Tan Wang, and David D. Yao, 2021, Financial Network and Systemic Risk — A Dynamic Model, Production and Operations Management.
3. Zhou, Zhengyi, Hong Chen, Lu Han, and Anming Zhang, 2021, The Effect of a Subway on House Prices: Evidence from Shanghai, Real Estate Economics.
4. Chen, Hong, and Murray Frank, 2016, Are Direct Investments by the Federal Reserve a Good Idea? A Corporate Finance Perspective, Quarterly the Journal of Finance.
5. Wu, Owen Q., and Hong Chen, 2016, Chain-to-chain competition under demand uncertainty, Journal of the Operations Research Society of China .
6. Chen, Hong, and Heng-Qing Ye, 2016, An Examination of Some Factory Physics Principles, Journal of the Operational Research Society of China.
7. Chen, Hong, Qu Qian, and Anming Zhang, 2015, Would Allowing Privately Funded Health Care Reduce Public Waiting Time? Theory and Empirical Evidence from Canadian Joint Replacement Surgery Data, Production and Operations Management.
8. Chen, Hong, and Zhan Zhang, 2014, Technical Note – Joint Inventory and Pricing Control with General Additive Demand, Operations Research.
9. Chen, Hong, and Heng-Qing Ye, 2012, Asymptotic Optimality of Balance Routing, Operations Research.
10. Chen, Hong, and Heng-Qing Ye, 2011, Methods in Diffusion Approximation for Multi-Server Systems: Sandwich, Uniform Attraction and State-Space Collapse, International Series in Operations Research & Management Science.
11. Chen, H., Wu, O., and Yao, D.D., 2010, On the Benefit of Inventory-Based Dynamic Pricing Strategies, Production and Operations Management.
12. Wu, Owen Q., and Hong Chen, 2010, Optimal control and equilibrium behavior of production-inventory systems, Management Science.
13. Chen, Hong, C. Tong, and L. Bai, 2009, The Lenovo Duo Model, Harvard Business Review (China Edition).
14. Chen, Hong, L. Qin and X.H. Shi, 2009, Towards an Agility Supply Chain, Harvard Business Review (China Edition).
15. Chao, Xiuli, Hong Cheng, and Shaohui Zheng, 2009, Dynamic Capacity Expansion for a Service Firm with Capacity Deterioration and Supply Uncertainty, Operations Research.
16. X. Chao, H. Chen, and S. Zheng, 2008, Joint Replenishment and Pricing Decisions in Inventory Systems with Stochastically Dependent Supply Capacity, European Journal of Operational Research.
17. H. Chen, O. Wu and M. Frank, 2007, U.S. Retail and Wholesale Inventory Performance from 1981 to 2004, Manufacturing & Service Operations Management.
18. H. Chen, Y.-W. Wan, 2005, Capacity Competition of Make-to-Order Firms, Operations Research Letters.
19. Hong Chen, Murray Z. Frank and OwenWu, 2005, What Actually Happened to the Inventories of American Companies Between 1981 and 2000?, Management Science.
20. H. Chen , M. Frank, 2004, Monopoly Pricing when Customer Queues, Iie Transactions.
21. H. Chen, Y.-W. Wan, 2003, Price Competition of Make-to-Order Firms, Iie Transactions.
22. H. Chen, X. Shen, 2003, The Finite Element Method for Computing the Stationary Distribution of an SRBM in an Orthant with Applications to Open Queueing Networks, Queueing Systems, Theory and Applications.
23. H. Chen, H. Ye, 2002, Existence Condition for the Diffusion Approximations of Multiclass Priority Queueing Networks, Queueing Systems, Theory and Applications.
24. H. Chen, X. Shen and D.D. Yao, 2002, Brownian Approximations of Multiclass Open Queueing Networks, Operations Research.
25. H. Chen, H. Ye, 2002, Piecewise linear Lyapunov Function for the Stability of Multiclass Queueing Networks, Ieee Transactions on Automatic Control.
26. X. Shen, H. Chen, J.G. Dai and W. Dai, 2002, The Finite Element Method for Computing the Stationary Distribution of an SRBM in a Hypercube with Applications to Finite Buffer Queueing Networks, Queueing Systems, Theory and Applications.
27. H. Chen, M. Frank, 2001, State Dependent Pricing with a Queue, Iie Transactions.
28. H. Ye, H. Chen, 2001, Lyapunov Function as a Necessary and Sufficient Condition for the Stability of Fluid Networks, Operations Research Letters.
29. H. Chen, H. Zhang, 2000, Stability of Multiclass Queueing Networks Under Priority Service Disciplines, Operations Research.
30. H. Chen, H. Zhang, 2000, A Necessary Condition and a Sufficient Condition for the Diffusion Approximations of Multiclass Queueing Networks Under Priority Service Disciplines, Queueing Systems, Theory and Applications.
31. H. Chen, X. Shen, 2000, Strong Approximation for Multiclass Feedforward Queueing Networks, Annals of Applied Probability.
32. H. Chen, H. Zhang, 2000, Diffusion Approximations for Some Multiclass Queueing Networks Under FIFO Service Disciplines, Mathematics of Operations Research.
33. H. Chen, 1999, Basic Adjoint Relation for Transient and Stationary Analysis of Some Markov Processes, Annals of Operations Research.
34. J.J. Liu, H. Chen, 1999, Optimal Pacing in an Assembly-Based Multistage Production System, Annals of Operations Research.
35. H. Chen, H. Zhang, 1998, Diffusion Approximations for Kumar-Seidman Network Under a Priority Service Discipline, Operations Research Letters.
36. H. Chen, H. Zhang, 1997, Stability of Multiclass Queueing Networks Under FIFO Discipline, Mathematics of Operations Research.
37. H. Chen, O. Kella and G. Weiss, 1997, Fluid Approximations for a Processor-Sharing Queue, Queueing Systems, Theory and Applications.
38. H. Chen, 1996, Rate of Convergence of the Fluid Approximation for Generalized Jackson Networks, Journal of Applied Probability.
39. H. Chen, 1996, A Sufficient Condition for the Positive Recurrence of a Semimartingale Reflecting Brownian motion in an orthant, Annals of Applied Probability.
40. H. Chen, H. Zhang, 1996, Diffusion Approximations for Multiclass Re-entrant Lines Under a Firstbuffer- First-Served Discipline, Queueing Systems, Theory and Applications.
41. H. Chen, 1995, Fluid Approximations and Stability of Multiclass Queueing Networks: Work-Conserving Disciplines, Annals of Applied Probability.
42. D. Atkins, H. Chen, 1995, Performance Evaluation of Scheduling Control of Queueing Networks: Fluid Model Heuristics, Queueing Systems, Theory and Applications.
43. H. Chen, J.G. Shanthikumar, 1994, Fluid Limits and Diffusion Approximations for Networks of Multi-server Queues in Heavy Traffic, Journal of Discrete Event Dynamic Systems.
44. H. Chen, P. Yang and D.D. Yao, 1994, Control and Scheduling in a Two-Station Queueing Network: Optimal Policies and Heuristics, Queueing Systems, Theory and Applications.
45. H. Chen, P. Yang, D.D. Yao and X. Chao, 1993, Optimal Control of a Simple Assembly System, Operations Research Letters.
46. S.H. Xu, H. Chen, 1993, On the Asymptote of the Optimal Routing Policy for Two Service Stations, Ieee Transactions on Automatic Control.
47. H. Chen, D.D. Yao, 1993, Dynamic Scheduling of a Multi-class Fluid Network, Operations Research.
48. H. Chen, W. Whitt, 1993, Diffusion Approximations for Open Queueing Networks with Service Interruptions, Queueing Systems, Theory and Applications.
49. H. Chen, D.D. Yao, 1992, A Fluid Model for Systems with Random Disruptions, Operations Research.
50. H. Chen, A. Mandelbaum, 1991, Discrete Flow Networks: Bottleneck Analysis and Fluid Approximations, Mathematics of Operations Research.
51. H. Chen, A. Mandelbaum, 1991, Stochastic Discrete Flow Networks: Diffusion Approximations and Bottlenecks, Annals of Probability.
52. J.M. Harrison, R.J. Williams and H. Chen, 1990, Brownian Models of Closed Queueing Networks with Homogeneous Customer Populations, Stochastics and Stochastics Reports.
53. H. Chen, D.D. Yao, 1990, Optimal Intensity Control of a Queueing System with State-Dependent Capacity Limit, Ieee Transactions on Automatic Control.
54. H. Chen, D.D. Yao, 1990, Derivatives of the Expected Delay in the GI/G/1 Queue, Journal of Applied Probability.
55. H. Chen, 1989, Optimal Intensity Control of a Multi-Class Queue, Queueing Systems - Theory and Applications.
56. H. Chen, J.M. Harrison, A. Mandelbaum, A.V. Ackere and L.M. Wein, 1988, Empirical Evaluation of a Queueing Network Model for Semiconductor Wafer Fabrication, Operations Research.
57. T. Chi, J.J. Liu and H. Chen, 1987, Optimal Stopping Rule for a Project with Uncertain Completion Time and Salvageability, Ieee Transactions on Engineering Management.
1. Hong Chen and Murray Z. Frank, 2020, Dividends, Taxes and Transaction Costs: Fisher Black’s Dividend Puzzle Reconsidered.
- Operations Management, Quantitative Analysis and Modeling.